Wednesday, June 23, 2010

This & That

My life has been very busy lately, and I am loving it! :) I went home two weekends ago for my younger brother's college graduation and spent $18.50 over 4 days. Gotta love it when my parents spoil me on my few trips home every year!

My social life has been blowing up, which is exactly what I have been needing. Most of my best friends moved away after college and those I met while studying abroad live in other states, all around the country. Let me tell you: it's very difficult to make friends after college. I joined a book club last August through Meetup and I'm finally getting close to some of the girls. One of them has invited me out for happy hour and I've seen a movie with another. You know what's a great feeling? Becoming friends with someone where it's so easy to get together and you talk as if you've been friends for years! :) Now, if only I could meet some other single girlfriends?!

I also went to SeaWorld on Sunday with my roommates and spent $7 on dinner since our park tickets were free! On Monday I had a no-spend-day when I went to a free outdoors bootcamp in the evening. A girl I know from college is trying to become a personal trainer and wants to work with some women so she invited a bunch of us to her make-shift bootcamps... which are basically just getting together outside to work out. It was fun and really refreshing to be in the beautiful park at the bay since I'm always inside at the gym, even if it was just her, her roommate and myself! In fact, my legs are still sore from all the drills we did: sprints, lunges, and squats. We also used free weights, resistance bands and did some mat work plus 10 minutes of stretching at the end. She was really good and targeted all different muscles, plus she made sure we were doing everything correctly. She's going to offer the sessions 3x a week to start and eventually get up to 5-6x a week, for FREE until she gets her personal training certificate! :)

Last night I spent $13 for dinner at my book club meeting. A little more than I had anticipated, but I absolutely love the group so I'll pay that 1-2x a month for the wonderful company! Today my department at work had teambuilding at the local fair. Our tickets were comped but we had to purchase our own lunch, so I spent $7.50 on a delicious gyro. No fried poptarts/twinkies/butter for me! (Yes. You read that right: FRIED BUTTER. Gag!)

To top off my increased social activities, I'm finally heading to Denver this weekend! So. Excited. Since USA won their soccer game today, I'll probably end up watching the game with my friend at some bar on Saturday and she's going to show me all around Denver on Sunday. A quick 48-hour trip, but weekend getaways are one of my favorite things to do! :) I've budgeted $200 for it.

I've also started my apartment hunt! I'm seeing a second place tomorrow so I'll post about both places soon. Happy Wednesday! :)

5 comments:

Alice June 24, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

I hear you on making friends in our 20s! Its hard... especially single gals. I have plenty of coupled off friends and occasionally I get tired of being the third wheel, plus how will I ever meet a guy if I got no wing "girl" :-) I had also done the meetup book club cause I love to read and it is a great way to meet people as has been my running club. Good luck!

Sara June 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM  

I've been wanting to join a book club in San Diego!! Which meetup.com group is it, if you don't mind me asking :)

Money Beagle June 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

Those are all awesome ways to keep busy AND it sounds like you managed to stay frugal while doing your many activities, which is even more awesome.

Great work!

HighClassLowIncome June 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

Have fun in Denver! I'll definitely have to utilize Meetup when I move.

I'm the same way with the apartment hunt. It's a little early right now for me to be looking if I plan to move in August, I just hope I find something that works for me when July rolls around. Good luck on the hunt :)

MoneyMaus June 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

@Alice - Thanks, good luck to you, too!

@Sara - Send me an e-mail and I'll let you know which one it is :)

@Money Beagle - I agree, the hardest part of trying to stay busy is to do it frugally!

@HCLI - Good luck to you, too! :)

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP