Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Big Day!

I officially opened my Roth IRA with Vanguard!* I did not think this would occur until at least the beginning of 2009, but I had $2,000 saved up and my parents gave me the $1,000 difference to make the minimum initial investment of $3,000. Another small step towards retirement by way of an index mutual fund! This means I have completed one of my main goals for the year.

I also purchased my 2-year membership to 24 Hour Fitness, which is scheduled to arrived on Friday. (My 7-day free trial expires on Saturday.) Total cost: $298.99. I am so excited for this and I hope the other classes I try this week are as fun as the kickboxing one I took last Sunday.

A good day in the world of personal finance for me. I am excited about my new investments: equities and my personal health/well-being. :)

*Per one of my previous posts, I did a bit more research and found out that if I invest in open-ended mutual funds and not individual securities, I am allowed to open an account at Vanguard. What a relief!

7 comments:

Anonymous October 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM  

Congrats!!! I also have my Roth at Vanguard, and I've been very happy with them.

Shen Dove October 22, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

Great news Money Maus!

Eve October 23, 2008 at 6:49 AM  

awesome!!! What did you invest in? Did you do a target date retirement fund?

Sallie's Niece October 23, 2008 at 12:15 PM  

Woo hoo welcome to the world of saving for retirement! I have a Vanguard target fund as well.

MoneyMaus October 23, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

Thanks, all!

@ypb - I did not invest in the target date retirement fund. Instead, I invested in the 500 index fund for now. Next year, when I contribute another $3,000 lump sum, I will put that into the target date retirement fund. :)

Anonymous October 26, 2008 at 6:11 PM  

yay, congrats!
And you're buying "on sale", as everyone's saying!

Keep it up!

Anonymous October 27, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

Congrats!! I know nothing about IRAs...or investing for that matter. Do you have a book you would reccommend?

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP