Friday, August 1, 2008

August Goals

August means moving to a new apartment, having new roommates (still male, still 2 of them - yay!), my Mom coming to visit for Labor Day weekend and almost the end of my 90-day introductory period at work! Here are my goals:

1. Keep moving expenses under $100: Mostly for 1/2 of a U-haul rental (split with 1 of my roommates) since I have no friends with trucks; start-up cable/internet costs split between all 3 of us; dining out for a meal or two during the moving process - though I am hoping it will be a lot less! (This does not include the $220 pro-rated rent for the old apartment, the $250 for 1/4 of the new security deposit OR the $590 pro-rated rent for the new apartment. The total $1,000 security deposit is a gift from my parents! Thanks, Mom & Dad!)
2. Stay within August budget, not including moving expenses: I did very well in July, so hopefully this month will go fairly smoothly, too. I might actually post my budget next week! :)
3. Work out 3x per week: With a LOT more space in the new apartment, I should be able to d my workout DVDs without a problem. Or maybe find a good rate on a gym? Thanks to all your comments/suggestions on that topic!
4. Save $400 towards E-fund/Roth IRA fund/other sub-accounts. I saved $500 total last month, so let's see if I can do at least $400 this month with the move! Currently, I am allocating $100 to my E-fund, $200 to my Roth IRA savings fund, $50 to a travel fund and $25 each to a car maintenance and gift fund.
5. Spend more time with friends: I have been a bit of an introvert the past 2 months since starting my job, starting to earn money and figuring out how to save/budget/use it. Now that I am much more comfortable with my personal/financial/work situations, I want to start doing more things with my friends!

Aside: What are some of your favorite hobbies? I love to blog, read, travel, golf (need to get back to this!), play cards, cook (still learning) - I am thinking about learning to knit, too. I love suggestions!

4 comments:

Anonymous August 3, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

Hmmm, hobbies...I guess mine is making pottery on the wheel. I love it and it's so relaxing/fun. I'm actually looking into paying for studio time, but all the places around here have waiting lists. It looks like I can get 6 "lessons" with unlimited studio/glazing time for $165. Not bad I guess.

Shen Dove August 3, 2008 at 11:45 PM  

There is an African dance class that I really enjoy taking when I take the time for it. It's pretty cheap also, only, $10. I am a news and book junkie and always have been. I also like volunteering my writing/pr skills for a non profit organization that serves youth.

SavingDiva August 4, 2008 at 9:36 AM  

I taught myself to knit a few years ago. It's fun hobby that can be relatively inexpensive.

I actually wrote a full post about my hobbies.

CBonebreak August 5, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

Thanks for the book suggestions, sorry for the delay in response, my feed has not been updating my comments properly! I'm definitely thinking long term, which is why part of me wants to buy some more stuff on the cheap right now, particularly in the financial sector... I'm just not sure how much cheaper it will go. If I knew, I'd be a rich woman!

Nice job on your July savings goals!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP