Sunday, August 23, 2009

My Rice Cooker


I recently purchased a rice cooker! I had been wanting one for a while, since I cook a lot of rice: it's cheap, filling, and goes great with a lot of meals. My parents have a rice cooker, my brother in college has one and one of my best friends has one - and they all swear by it! So, I took the plunge and added another kitchen gadget to my collection. (I already have a food processor and a crock pot.)

I did a bit of research and decided to go with the Rival 6-cup Rice Cooker from Target for $16.99 plus tax. It's absolutely adorable and really small, so it fits easily into a cupboard and barely takes up any counter space! With this specific rice cooker, it's very important to follow the instruction booklet it comes with: you need to use the included "rice scoop" and fill it up to the same "water line" as how many scoops you put in, i.e., 1 scoop = "1" on the water line. (Never try to cook the maximum 3 cups uncooked rice in it because, based on the reviews, it's too much for the little guy to handle and will make a mess on your counter!)

I have used it 3x since I bought it: 2x using only 1 scoop of rice and 1x using 2 scoops. The rice has been perfect each time! I think brown rice might take a bit longer to cook, but I've only used white basmati rice so far. It's perfect for a single person or a couple, because it makes enough to eat plus some leftovers.

It also comes with a vegetable steamer on top (not pictured). I have used it to steam peas, edamame and green beans - all frozen and thrown in the veggie steamer about 5-10 minutes after I started cooking the rice. Next I'll try steaming some potstickers.

It's so easy and I'm very happy with my purchase! :)

4 comments:

HighClassLowIncome August 25, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

I have a small pink rice cooker :) I like making quinoa in it also.. brown rice does take a little longer to cook. My mom told me she soaks the brown rice first for about an hour then cooks it. I've never actually used the steamer, I may have to try it soon!

asgreen August 26, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Is it easy to clean? I've been thinking about getting one, but I want to make sure I'll use it first.

hustler August 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

Wow, I thought they would be more expensive than that. I eat a lot of rice so now I am contemplating getting one! I like to eat rice with stir fry and anything spicy but I also like white rice with milk and sugar.

Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang November 3, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang
Keyword Kenali Pandeglang
Mohon dukungannya yach....?!
Semangat..semangat..!!

Pandeglang telah hilang Kenali Si Dunia Aneh
Mari bersama Pak Firman yang bekerja di SDIT Nurul Ilmi Medan dalam kontes Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP