Friday, January 23, 2009

Taxes 101

This is my first year filing taxes! In the past, while I was in college, my parents always took care of doing my taxes since I was a dependent.

But now, my time has come! Today, I received the first of a few tax forms headed my way: my 1099 from Chase (formerly WaMu) for my measly interest that I accrued during 2008. My 1099 forms for my ING accounts will be available online at the end of the month, as will my W-2 from my job. I already contacted my on-campus job where I worked from February-June '08 and that W-2 will be mailed out to me.

I plan on using Free File for my federal return (probably TaxAct, from what I've read) but I can't decide if I should do my state return on my own or pay the $13.95. Hmm.


Yackie January 23, 2009 at 7:37 AM  

You know some states offer free efile in their sites. I do mine in VA site for free. However, VA has a requirement where you have to have file a state return the previous year. Also, if you made less than $50k during the year you can go to one of the IRS free filing sites. You can call the IRS or search on their site for VITA sites where volunteers file your taxes for free.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by 2008

Back to TOP